BOY SCOUT TROOP #92
Fredon’s Boy Scout
Troop 92 welcomes any boy - 11 years or older - who is interested in camping,
hiking, and learning about and having fun in the outdoors. Previous scouting
experience is not necessary. Our meetings are held on the 2nd, 3rd, and
4th Thursdays of each month at the Fredon Township Civic Center from 7:00
p.m. until 8:30 p.m. in the gymnasium. Our charter organization is the
Yellow Frame Presbyterian Church. Our Scoutmaster is Mr. Frank Wallace.
Troop 92 continues to maintain our goal of at least one outing per month. In October, we camped in 'lean-tos' at Camp Winnebago in the Copperas Mountains in Rockaway, NJ. Compliments of the surprise snowstorm of Halloween 2011, we awoke on Saturday morning to 20 inches of snow. We proceeded to have a great time hiking, collecting firewood, cooking and enjoying the beauty of the woods. In November we visited Camp No Be Bosco situated alongside the Kittatinny Ridge near the Delaware Water Gap. We concentrated on leadership training that weekend along with our typical hiking, cooking, and enjoying meals we prepare for ourselves. In December we entertained a group of Webelo Cub Scouts and their dads - splitting wood, hiking and cooking - at Camp Wheeler at the Allamuchy Scout Reservation.
In April 2012 we have scheduled a backpacking trip in the Green Mountains of Vermont; we'll be doing some training hikes on the weekends between now and then. We are looking into a white water rafting trip in May 2012 on the Black River in New York. Each summer we spend a week at summer camp (as a troop) during which we have fun while gaining advancement in rank at an accelerated rate.
We participate in community service projects which have benefitted the
Coursen House; Lodestar Park; St. Joseph’s Church in Newton; The Masonic
Lodge in Andover; Camp Sacajawea in Sparta; Our Lady of Mount Carmel in
Swartswood; Fredon Township; and several elderly or disabled citizens.
Fredon Township Cub Scout Pack 92 offers fun for boys in first grade or older who are interested in hiking and camping and having fun. For further information please contact Mr. Frank Wallace at 973-383-7109 or Mr. Dan Kaufman at 973-940-1477. For information on scouting in general please visit the council website www.ppbsa.org.
MEMORIAL HOSPITAL AUXILIARY
of the Newton Hospital Auxiliary...
Why not join the Fredon Auxiliary? Meet new friends and old. Our organization provides strong support for Newton Memorial Hospital (NMH). We meet every second Monday of the month from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. at the Fredon Township Municipal Building, Route 94. After the meeting we enjoy some fellowship with coffee and home-baked goodies.
• Our members sew and stuff "luv" comfort pillows for NMH post- operative patients.
• Some ladies knit baby hats at home for newborns at the hospital.
• We make favors for Valentine's Day and Thanksgiving for the patients' meal trays.
• At our annual Christmas party we usually collect enough funds to give to two needy families to brighten their Christmas.
• One of our members initiated and is in charge of scheduling members from all branches to help at the hospitality table once a week at the Cancer Center in Sparta. We offer sandwiches, cookies, snacks and water, coffee, etc to patients undergoing treatment. They seem happy to see us and we're happy to be able to lighten and cheer their day.
• Fredon Branch projects also include: Members volunteering at the Bee Hive Thrift Shop and the NMH Gift shop. Promoting Organ & Tissue Donor Awareness in April at NMH and at the Fair in August and updating our activities in the "Branching Out" Newsletter.
• Our Fredon branch sponsors a mum sale in September at the Hospital.
• We participate in the main auxiliary Tricky Tray held annually. We have a new entertainment chairperson who is looking for fun things to do as a group in addition to our meetings and fundraisers, etc.
It is rewarding
to do something for the hospital and for the community! We can always
use new talents and ideas. So come and join us one Monday a month
from September through June. To find out more, call the Auxiliary
office at NMH at (973) 579-8425 or just join us at our meetings.
THE FRIENDS OF THE FREDON VOLUNTEER FIRE COMPANY
The Friends is a group of volunteers formed as an auxiliary to the Fredon Volunteer Fire Co. The main goal of the Friends is to assist the Fire Company in fundraising for monies to be used towards the purchase of new and updated equipment, advanced fire fighting technologies and life saving equipment for the Emergency Medical Service providers.
Our fundraising events in the past have been a spaghetti supper, chicken barbecue, tea at the Tea Hive, annual fall flower bulb sale and annual Pancake Breakfast and Bake sale, and others.
We wish to thank
the community for their terrific support of our fundraisers for Fredon’s
Volunteer Fire Co. and EMS, and look forward to your continued support
this year. Anyone interested in learning more about the Friends can
contact Pam Lazzaro, Treasurer of Fire Department, at 973 383-7624.
New members are greatly wanted and needed.